Success (DEFINITION SERIES PART 2)


suc·cess

  [suhk-ses]
–noun
1.
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts orendeavors.
2.
the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3.
a successful  performance or achievement: The play was aninstant success.

Dictionary.com



How does this make you feel? Do you agree, disagree, or even somewhat agree?


My life is full of successes. My successes are big and small. Some of them took years of work and some of them happened in an instant. But above all, my successes are learning experiences.


During my early childhood and through most of my teenage years, I was an illegal immigrant. Through all the hardships, I gained an understanding of what exactly success meant to me. I have vivid memories of my father turning down higher paying jobs to stay where he was because it made him happier. 


I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody.- Herbert Bayard Swope


My father always made it a priority to make sure I knew that true success comes from within. He always told me that regardless if I had a mansion or a one bedroom apartment, as long as I was truly happy with it then he would be proud of me. He kept referring to success not as a destination but as a map to guide you in the right direction. Through the years of my own maturation, I have come to realize that success encompasses happiness and happiness encompasses success; they go hand in hand. I know exactly where I want to be and I will do all the necessary steps to ensure i reach that goal.


Whether it be graduating from high school, attaining a good job, or keeping a good relationship with your partner, we have all been successful up to this point. We have to appreciate what we have right? Yes, we do. We all have our own definitions of success; what is success to you?

Comments

Popular Posts